The Year was 2012 and I was having one of my best performing streak of quarters in my Career. I was at the top of my game in the world of Retained Executive Search, making a lot of money and I was enjoying every minute of it...
Until I took a long and hard look at my industry and the wise words of Jack Ma came flooding into my mind, like as though Old Jack himself was whispering in my ear.
In a panic, I forced myself to highlight the 3 things that could or have already begun to disrupt my Industry, and I identified 3 ominous signs.
1. LinkedIn was going to take away a significant portion of the Recruitment Industry,
2. Our fees and rates have been steadily declining since the Great Financial Crisis of 2008, as competition for a shrinking market heated up, and
3. A trend of 'in-sourcing of Talent Acquisition' was gaining momentum with major clients. They were building 'in-house recruitment teams' that they could use to bypass external Headhunters.
I then forced myself to review my own to explore what my next steps should be.
means being in an industry that was growing and having the skills that would see continued demand for my service.
2. means that in the long run, I would not be 'selling hours of my own time' (which had its limits), but rather, a solution that could be replicated and scaled upwards.
3. means that I will be doing what I love doing most - in my case, meeting people and helping them solve their complex problems.
To myself and , I authored and published my first book, in 2015.
This book was the amalgamation of all the Career Advice that my C-suite clients and candidates taught me over my decade-long experience interviewing them. It took me close to 2 years to write and publish it but the effects were phenomenal in establishing myself as .
The popularity of the book got me noticed in the Career Coaching Market and I landed a role at a leading Outplacement Firm where I joined as their Business Development Director.
Today, I am blessed to have a wonderful team, fantastic client base, and excellent profitability and growth trajectory.
And most importantly, I've achieved all three of my Career Goals () and have found like-minded people to share it with.